Windows Defender is an essential part of Windows which keeps your system protected against viruses and malware attacks. However, the problem seems to initiate when itself is being attacked due to misconfigured files, viruses, or corrupt files data. Luckily, there are several ways you can try out to fix Error Code 0x80073b01 of Windows Defender. Given below are a few methods to resolve it:
The error code 0x80073b01 generally appears due to corrupted installation of security of essentials. To resolve this corruption, do the following method:
- Open Windows Registry Editor: Press Windows Key + R to open Run, Type Regedit and hit Enter
- Now navigate to following keys and delete msseces.exe:
- “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Image File Execution Options\ ” and delete the entry msseces.exe and
- “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun” and delete the entry msseces.exe.
- Restart the computer and now you will be able to open Windows Defender/Security Essential
Since you have made changes to the registry, it is important to ensure everything is done accurately and it is free from any orphaned entries. For that purpose, it is useful to scan through entire registry and fix any errors present in it. Using a useful free tool such as Free Registry Recycler can help this cause. Use it to find and fix errors in the registry. This would not only repair the corrupted entries but also give boost to PC performance.
Run System File Checker
The System file checker scans through windows files and verifies the integrity of files important to system. Running it not only finds through the problem but automatically repairs. To run System File checker do as directed:
- From a search window type cmd, right click cmd and select run as administrator
- In the command window, type sfc/scannow and enter
- The scan should hopefully complete and advise it has fixed some corrupt files
- Try opening Windows Defender from the Control Panel again
Remove Malware or Other Infections
The error originally appears due to an undetected virues or malware that stops defender or security essential serivce to initiate any further. In such scenario, the ultimate solution is to remove the infection using any other reliable security program. We suggest you either Kaspersky or McAfee to completely scan the system against malwares and viruses. But be sure you scan your system while in SAFE MODE.