When you’ve tried all other software troubleshooting options but your system still persists with the same error, you revert to a clean installation of Windows to Improve PC Performance and get your PC to start working again. Clean installation of Windows is an installation method that formats the drive, removes all existing data, and paves way for a completely fresh Windows.
Everything works fine if you are clean installing using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant. However, problems occur, if you have already formatted the hard drive and then try to activate your Windows, in which case an error message pops up asking you to install an older version of Windows first. This error message is of the form, “error 0x8007007B” and it prevents you to activate your operating system even after the installation is completed, attributing your product key to be only used for upgrading. The error said above, can simply be resolved through a simple registry edit. Read on to implement the steps required to fix error 0x8007007B.
In order to fix this error, follow the simple steps listed below:
- Press Windows key, type “Run” and hit Enter to launch dialog box
- Next, type “regedit” on the Run box and press Enter to open the Windows Registry Editor
- Navigate to the following path:
“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Setup\ OOBE”
- Double-Click on “MediaBootInstall” displayed on the right pane. A windows displaying the value contained in this key will open
- Replace the key value ’1’ with ‘0’
- Close the Registry Editor window
- Press the Windows key and type ‘cmd’ on Start Screen.
- Right-click on the Command Window icon displayed in the search result and click “Run as administrator” located at the bottom
- On the command prompt window, type “slmgr / rearm” and then press Enter
- Restart/reboot your PC.
Upon careful execution of these steps, you should be able to activate your Windows and enjoy the fresher and cleaner system you were wishing for.