There are devices or machines with relatively small screens, having maximum resolution up to 1024 x 600. Although, these devices with such resolution have can incorporate Windows 8, there may be glitches in running some of the Windows Store apps. Users have been reporting crashed down, or failed open applications in such scenario. These applications are typically designed for a screen resolution, ranging between 1680 x 1050 and 1024 x 786, which is obviously greater than that mentioned at the first place. Those applications usually cannot adjust in a smaller resolution, and when executed, result in malfunction.
Fortunately, it is informed to the users of such devises that there is a registry entry in Microsoft Windows Registry database, which can be modified to resolve this issue. To make it possible, it is necessary that the user must login to Windows 8 through the account with administrative rights.
The relevant registry entry that we are talking about may exist in different registry keys, in different machines, depending upon the type of graphics and their drivers. Therefore, you would have to search this entry, rather than navigating through the registry tree. To avoid any serious loss from mistakenly modified values, create a backup of your existing registry status. You can backup and fix your Registry using a reliable registry software such as Registry Recycler. Download it from here.
Follow the procedure outlined underneath to make this happen at your device.
- Stay on Start screen, or go to Start screen if you are at Desktop, and type ‘regedit’
- In the search result, click regedit to open Microsoft Windows Registry Editor
- Click Yes on User Account Control confirmation box, to affirm it as administrator
- In Registry Editor window, press Ctrl + F to conduct a search through registry
- In the Find box, type Display1_DownScalingSupported and hit Enter
- When found, double click the registry entry to Modify
- In the text field under Value data, replace the value from 0 to 1
- Click OK to save your settings
- Exit Registry Editor
If the immediate changes are not observed, Reboot your system once to get an effect. Enjoy running all kinds of apps on any device, screen resolution you have.